Monday, August 18, 2008

Synesthesia

A week or so ago Spencer and I were engaged in our usual evening routine of surfing the web and watching TV when Spencer happened upon an article about Synesthesia; a phenomenon in which two or more bodily senses are coupled.

While reading the article Spencer immediately thought of our sister-in-law Tracy who associates numbers with colors and personalities. However, upon reading further, he discovered that he too has a form of this phenomenon called "number form synethesia." He basically has a mental map of numbers which appears automatically whenever he thinks of them. Numbers, months, and dates have a geographic position in relation to each other.

I was totally floored when I heard about this. First, because I've known him for five years and never new he thought this way. And second, because if I were to even think about numbers having a "place" it would be in a straight line running from left to right and for infinity. None the less, Spencer is a synesthete.

5 comments:

Kate said...

This has nothing to do with numbers, but I'm in love with your baby. Just had to tell ya.

Pat said...

To learn more about the fasciating world of synesthesia, visit the "Blue Cats synesthesia Resource Center" at:
http://www.bluecats.info

i {heart} hawkes said...

strange i don't recall learning this in any of my psychology courses but it facinates me none the less.

Jake said...

Yeah, I have a visual map of the months in my mind. I could draw it for you sometime if you like.

Melissa said...

wow...that is fascinating...I want to be a Synthesthetic! But not so much that I'm tempted by illicit drugs, which is appearantly a synthetic source of synesthesia!